PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birdsville Races 2009
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2009, 11:50
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...........ahhh the BDV races, the fond memories:-)
I wondered recently what would be the go re ASIC & the new 'BS' Drug thingy at the famous races. I wonder if the pilots going there these days are any different to the ones way back when I went (mid 80's)? I doubt it & there was booze a plenty back then as am sure it is now. Wouldn't mind some feedback after this years events from those that attended. Might venture up there again next year but won't be keen if the 'fun' has been taken out of it by way of rules rules rules. I believe there's a fence around the airport now? Yep I can see security being a huge issue at BDV most of the year
Still was an expereince I won't forget.Ramped checked by the 'goons/scaleies' at BHI. Watching guys unload bags etc from other planes & wondeirng where to leave them 'cause they where over weight.The planes stacked up awaiting ldg clearance @ BDV, no GPS in those days. (Starvation lake was it enroute from the Melb direction, anyone recall?) Either full sar reporting for VFR or a nominated sartime, must be a breeze these days to find the joint!:-)
The swag was the most fun, lovely warm days, $1 canned beers, bloody freezin' nights, blocked toilets, 10 deep at the pub counter. The flies, the dust, Fred B's boxing Tent, you paid to get yr head smashed in by mostly our indigenous cousins. Boy could they fight! The idiots starting up at first light sunday mornin' to get home and blowing dust from end of the planet to the other! The fight for one of about 3 hand pumps to get fuel upon arrival 'cause you could only buy a drum, the rest of yr crew went & got drunk whilst you (the pilot) spent the first few hrs refueling. And the best part was one year I got to meet good old "Dick Smith" in his khaki Safari suit out at the racetrack, funny how he was pretty much standing thete on his own!.........Yep I remember it well, sh!t, what was I thinking of wanting to go back !!!!

More to come I hope

Wmk2