PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Freelance for the uninitiated
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2009, 04:38
RoToR_V8D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jockspice, I feel for ya mate!

I have recently finished 17 years in the Mil downunder - Air Force and Navy in Oz. I was really hoping to get a job flying helicopters, but my hours are too low to get a look in for the contracts that most end users stipulate these days. Most of my time was fixed wing. Even so, most of the Military drivers are only getting 100-120hrs a year, irrespectve of branch of Service. Ten years return of service and you can't get job as a Co-ey?! G-WHIZZ!

The main reason I wanted touch base with you though? Don't give up! I've been out for just over a year. I have a job that was supposed to be UMTP on a brand spanking Military Helo, but it slowly turned into a classroom teaching scenario, through various, sinister twists and turns of the contract knife.

If you live for your flying, and it sounds like you do, press! I am on the cusp of finally scoring some part-time flying where my employer will release me to help maintain my currencies, without me having to take leave. Looks like R44s and a C208 on Floats - I hope...

If you're not up to your eyeballs in debt or other ties, why not investigate further afield? Canada, South America, India - I know there was mob in India looking for B3 driver a while back. Hell of an adventure.

Like one of the chaps said earlier though, you have to work out what your end goal is before you pull out the machette and start hacking a path to freedom.

Personally, it couldn't get much better for me now - Amphib Float Planes, Rotary Wing Flying, Piston and Turbine engines, lecturing in FBW, MFDs and DKUs, and gaining a healthy intro to the wonderful world of commercial aviation/tourism - all at the same time? Nirvana!

Chin up. I am serially unlucky, and I've burnt more bridges than I can possibly repair - but it's working for me. It'll work for you too!!

P.S. TIP: It is amazing how much more credibility you have when you make a point of folowing up a contact six months down the track. They know you're serious, and at least here in Australia, they actually start to listen to what you're offering. Just my two cents anyway. Shame 'bout the rugger though....