PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental TurboProp crash inbound for Buffalo
Old 28th Jul 2009, 01:28
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...a lot of dumping on the Captain.

I've seen enough students 'fight' the pusher under sim training so without correction or remedial support from the instructor, I can see how this reaction fit the scenario. Pulling as a response, if you like. I'd suggest this guy was one of many who would 'pull' as opposed to 'push' in response to a surprise like the pusher activation.
Surprised?
No. I'm not.

From where I sit, the uncommanded retraction of flaps during a stall is what finally brought this aircraft down. It would appear from what's been made public so far, it was the F/O that did that without any request to do so, and IMHO, did so w/o thinking. Who knows what a panicked mind produces for thought, but she may have thought it would reduce drag forgetting the increase to stalling speed. This would surely have reintroduced pusher and being that close to the ground, the PF 'pulled'.

Either way, experience and training played a HUGE role in the outcome. Past 'failures' are exactly that. Past. The PTS cuts you no slack and a pink slip is always that close on any 61.58. Regionals in the U.S. "eat their young" with regularity AND pleasure.

Flight crews at Colgan can only stand to benefit from this accident. Flight crews throughout the Regional Airlines will also benefit. It's only a matter of time and patience. It's just a tragic way to discover or accept what's broken and what needs fixin'.

Willie
Lord of the Flys