PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Getting It Right when Things Go Wrong
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2009, 21:15
robtheblade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garuda

For about six years I had to travel from UK to Bali every couple of months. I would use the cheapest flights I could get. At that time Garuda flew from LGW to DPS via BKK and offered some great deals as well as the best times.
One time I got a fare of about £380 economy with them but flying from EMA with BMI to FRA then on to DPS with Garuda. I had quite an early start and when my lift arrived I went into my bag to check my passport and ticket. Got to EMA check in to find passport but no ticket. A phone call home to the wife confirmed the ticket was left on the office table, but she would come straight down with it. Unfortunately the M1 was closed due to an accident and it became obvious I was not going to get my ticket.
The BMI lady was very nice, phoned Garuda and it was sorted. Garuda would issue new ticket at FRA. All I had to do was buy a ticket to FRA and collect my ticket. Then came the sting, BMI wanted £270. How can it be? Only £110 from FRA to DPS? I told the BMI lady that they were trying to blackmail me and would not pay. I phoned the Garuda office in London and told them my story. The lady there asked if I could get to LGW for the evening flight and that I could collect a ticket there at no extra cost.
Got to Gatwick, collected my ticket and went to the check in. I told the lady there my story, she took pity on me and gave me an upgrade to P/E.
Great airline with great staff and as soon as they resume flights to Europe I will use them.
Also, a couple of weeks ago I was returning from Bali. Got to KUL six hours before check in. Went to the KLM office and asked if they could check me in before the allotted time. No problem sir, go to desk G15 and I will be down in ten minutes. Sure enough, down came the man, opened the check in desk, gave me the boarding cards and went back to his office. Great service.