PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Norwich Airspace Grab
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2009, 20:05
WorkingHard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Norwich Airspace Grab

I have just become aware of this and as I frequent that bit of airspace frequently it really has my attention. Am I being too pessimistic or is this another exercise in boosting egos (it is after all now Norwich INTERNATIONAL Airport). As I said to the duty manager if he would tell me where norwich DOMESTIC is I will use that instead!
Please may I have your views on this. With thanks to GASCO:-

GASCo
24th July 2009

To: All Board & Council Members

GASCo Info Notice 03/09 – Proposed Norwich Controlled Airspace

1. Introduction

You may already be aware of a proposal to implement controlled airspace in the vicinity of Norwich International Airport. I only became fully aware of it this week as the Formal Notification dated 22 May had gone elsewhere in GASCo. I attempted to download it from the promulgated site but for some reason it failed. Nevertheless, the 86 page document can be readily accessed on the BMAA Web Site BMAA Online under Consultations together with their Response. Alternatively, I have obtained from Norwich a copy by e-mail and can Forward it to anyone who requests it. At the front it has:
This document and the information contained therein is the property of Cyrrus Limited. It must not be reproduced in whole or part or otherwise disclosed to parties outside of Cyrrus Limited without the prior written consent. This must take the 2009 prize for the daftest thing in a Consultative Document!

Commercial air traffic has doubled at Norwich during the last 10 years and the closure of Coltishall after 36 years of an integrated arrangement meant that there was a loss of the known traffic environment. The proposal does include arrangements for airspace sharing and Letters of Agreement with those affected eg Felthorpe, Ludham and Swanton Morley. It also states ‘Transits through the proposed CTR/CTA by both VFR & IFR flights will be accommodated on direct routings to the maximum possible extent’. I also note that nearly half of the problem events during a recent 2 year period were known to be military aircraft. A Chart of the proposal is attached.

The current GASCo policy is for organisations to make their own comments unless the Council asks GASCo to submit specific or general comments. Responses can be e-mailed to [email protected] . During the Cardiff/Bristol Consultation GASCo sent the following response; let me know if you wish the same to be sent to Norwich:
1. GASCo supports this proposal as it provides all the airspace that is necessary to maintain the safety standards of commercial traffic using these airports whilst taking into account the needs of general aviation.

2. This is based on the proviso that there are sufficient appropriate staff are available, to ensure the requirements for access to Class D by General Aviation aircraft seeking to fly within or across the airspace.

The closing date for comments is 28th August 2009.

John Thorpe, Chief Executive