PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Royal Auxiliary Air Force
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2002, 12:28
Proman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a Fg Off with a RAuxAF Sqn...great fun and I don't know why I waited so long to get involved.

Selection processes vary but it's important to understand that RAuxAF is part time, not second rate, and there is a threshold to pass to be accepted, so many don't get in. It doesn't mean you're not good, just not what's being looked for.

Training, especially initially is time consuming, but like everything you'll find the rewards relate to what you put in. But the idea is to equip you with as many of the skills as full-time. This is reflected by the attitude most full-time RAF colleagues have which is positive - indeed often amazed when you explain that it's possble to work on Saturdays/Sundays and enjoy it! They enjoy working alongside us as we have new perspectives and attitudes to the world, and experiences of life outside which can hold worries for some post-retirement etc.

My family accept it (I'm away normally one weekend a month, and usually two-four days besides, and one major training/exercise of two weeks plus a year), and I find I usually bring some interesting stories back. One family pay back is saving pay and the annual Bounty to put towards the annual family holiday which is my way of saying thanks for letting me go off and work/play. Tying it to civvy work can be more difficult, and I have a good employer who gives me 10 days extra leave a year to assist. Some are less helpful. Even so, I reckon it costs me about another 10 days of my own leave allowance, in addition to weekends.

One problem is insurance. In civilian life I get paid more than a Fg Off (significantly) but if I were injured or worse on military service, all MOD would cover me for would be the equivalent of Fg Off pay. NAAFI and Affinitas can't/won't help as I'm part time, and civilian companies have tight exceptions about paying out in a military war) zone etc, which they define. (Afghanistan wouldbe one, Sirra Leone would have been another). After a long chat with the family I'm carrying the risk, but it's one of the ways RAuxAF part-timers can feel second best and disadvantaged.

Another problem is being mucked about by the Admin - both taskings and other nif naf. But that's not reserved to RAuxAF, so you just grin and sort it out. No one really goes to work to make life difficult for you, but sometimes it just works out that way.

You get a ton of kit thrown at you (wardrobe plus), learn new skills (especially, if an officer, about management - the value which Cranwell adds can't be underestimated), make some new friends with like minds, travel, and have the reward of knowing you're putting something back into society through some public service.

There...if that doesn't put you off (!) nothing will.

GFI.

Last edited by Proman; 27th May 2002 at 12:35.