PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greenham Common.. and first postings.
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2009, 18:02
Rossian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wg Cdr Spry

When Ken Hayr was the embodiment of the title he came to St Mawgan to give a presentation on flight safety. At some point, his mention of "time off" led to a rumble of dissent from the assembled throng. He switched off the OHP (pre power point means of presenting for the yoof) and said "Well, that seems to have rattled a few bars; what's it all about? Who had last w/e off as a start?" No hands went up. "The w/e before?" No hands went up.
A flt cdr on the OCU said "Leave out the OCU chaps but keep going with the squadron (42)"
Eventually a SNCO on 42 said "I had Christmas day off sir" This was May!
Part of it was that in order to justify the hideous cost of the sim we used to have Sat evening slots that finished at 0100 Sun morning (full Nimrod crew trainer).
To his credit the Sat evening sim slots stopped at that point.

His minion was sent to SHQ to inspect the leave records of ALL aircrew, and as a result the very next morning I was ordered to fill in a leave pass and go home for two weeks. (kids in school, wife in college, WX was crap but I wasn't at work!). He was the sort of chap one would have followed a VERY long way. He listened and ACTED, a rare combination.

The Ancient Mariner

Last edited by Rossian; 27th Jul 2009 at 18:08. Reason: Al R apologies for thread drift. Maybe we should have a "Top bosses I've known" thread.