PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA - JAA Conversions, AND Atpl ground school
Old 27th Jul 2009, 14:09
Therighthorse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA - JAA Conversions, AND Atpl ground school

If anyone can help me with their opinions on what particular route I should take, it would be greatly appreciated.

Im a British national, having obtained an FAA CPL me/se, with a current FAA instrument rating. Ive got 340 hours total due to a brief stint as a CFI in the U.S (though currently looking to increase this with an intended return in the next few months).

My question is really what to do next regarding conversions and the ATPL ground school. Am I right in thinking I will need to obtain my JAA CPL ME with instrument rating (conversion) BEFORE I can take the ATPL exams and get a frozen ATPL? Or, can I go straight into the ground school and get that out the way?

My planned return to the U.S to build hours is dependent upon being issued an H3 visa, something that I will have to wait up to 3 months in order to have an answer for, so currently my time is limited. I would ideally like to get moving in at least one area, be it converting licences or starting the ATPL theory, i'm just currently unsure when, and where to begin.

I've been thinking alot about Bristol Groundschool, they seem to be recommended having read around this forum. Is the flight training in Bristol any good? I was thinking about Oxford for that, if all goes well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Im based in the south-east of England, so if anyone knows of any other decent (and cheap) institutions please do let me know.

Many thanks!