PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Uniform policy
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2009, 10:19
DEFRA
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF Uniform policy

For those not in the know, the guys on shift/ltf/ have to come in to work in blues, change into greens (Used to be coveralls, but this was changed as people were wearing them tied at the waist when it got warm), then change back into blues should they go anywhere else on station, be that to eat, do admin etc.
Typical scenario: You turn up to shift in blues, immediately change into greens, then get told you're on the boot run. So, you change back into blues, go to the gym, change into another set of greens, do the boot run, change back into blues, go back to work and finally change back into greens. Sound longwinded? Try actually doing it!
I know the argument is that we're a blue air force and need to keep our identity, but surely some jobs are just better suited to greens? They are durable, comfortable, layerable...I could go on.
The main point is this; If the troops doing the more physical jobs were allowed to come into work in greens, keeping the office based guys in blues, it's win win. There would be enough blue suiters wandering about the place to maintain the perception of 'blue' identity, the guys in greens would have far less hassle going about their jobs and consequently, morale on shift/ltf/days would be raised considerably. (And, as a new member of the wing, I can see that morale currently is at a fairly sorry level.)
I hope no-one will read this and think i'm just being an upstart. I can assure you I've considered this from both sides of the fence and I just think greens as general working dress is the sensible, practical solution. I'm also certain that I speak for the vast majority of the guys doing this every day.
Next they will have us doing drill and saluting Officers.