PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Regular Passenger & keen to be a pilot
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2009, 09:03
Cyrano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FN-GM
I currently have a sore leg, i damaged it whilst moving some heavy equipment at work this week. When i sit down for a long period of time it causes discomfort. I am 6ft 1 and i struggle for space as it is. I am going to have plenty of discomfort during my long flight. Business class will help as i can spread my legs etc, I cannot afford to upgrade to business class. I know i am being cheeky but what is the best way to get an upgrade for free?
FN-GM: I'll offer you two real-world answers for your situation. Neither of them answer your "how do I get something for free that other people pay for?" question.

1. You booked a flight, then you suffered an injury which will make it very uncomfortable for you to fly. It would seem likely that a doctor would certify that flying long-haul is inadvisable for you at present. This would normally allow you to cancel your flight and get a refund under your travel insurance. You did take out a travel insurance policy, didn't you?

2. If you insist on going, you could explain the situation to SQ Reservations (spare them the "I'm 6'1", this is a struggle for me" spiel, though - I'm assuming you were already 6'1" when you booked, unless you're on growth hormone treatment, so you knew what would be involved) and ask them if they could block a free seat beside you, load factor permitting. They *might* be willing to do this if the flight is not too full, and that would give you a bit more space.

I echo Phineas's point: if you can get extra space in Economy (a free seat beside you) it will provide a good deal more comfort.