PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots and Engineers
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2009, 08:53
Fuel Nozzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engineer and now Pilot

Yes you can do it ! It took me 13yrs to become a licensed aircraft maintenance engineer (L.A.M.E)/ Airline pilot. Reason being I started of as a aircraft sheet metal worker then studied to become a L.A.M.E on small bug smashers....All to get money to one day pay for flying lessons....Right place at right time end up with several jet engine/airframe licences on aircraft above 5700kg then started all my flying and didn't stop until I made the airlines.....having dual trades is really helping me at the moment due to the GCC...
Look out though! flying instructors really pick on you when you are starting out because you know more about aircraft than they do! so training is hard but its so worth the bull****, having the maintenance back ground helps for ground schools as well~ because its just another ground school but easier in some aspects ie the level of information is not as deep as a maintenace gnd school but therefore you zip through more surface level stuff which has to be recalled within days on top of more stuff.
Line training is another time having this maintance back ground helps,because you normally go through all the systems at some stage!

Over all you can do it and its a long and hard road to leave the good money of a LAME and fight your way back in the flying game!

Good luck