PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amelia Earhart PNG Theory
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2009, 06:36
David Billings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amelia Earhart Project in PNG

Chimbu:

Don't know where you get the idea she would head for Lae. She had spent near four days at Lae and had spoken to Guinea Airways people. What do pilot's always say to one another when they know that someone is going soemwhere for the first time ? "If you get into trouble duck into ......... there's a small airstrip there", or words to that effect. She would head for Rabaul, no question if she got into trouble on the way out. Two airstrips there, Lakunai and Vunakanau. Vuna had just opened. She didn't use Rabaul because Tavurvur was erupting (as it still is today).

The Nimitz story came from words he said to Fred Goerner, a Columbia Broadcaster who worked in SFO. Georner did some interesting research and he was part of the Saipan Theory but just before he died he refuted the notion. You would think wouldn't you that if Earhart had been held by the Japanese in Weishien Camp in China or even in the Emperor's Palace or was brought back by Monsignor James Francis Kelley or held on Saipan that ALL the HUNDREDS of people (including Japanese Vets still alive) who would have been in the know would have spoken out by now. The idea is prepostorous and I am not saying that because of what we have, I am saying it because I find it totally ridiculous. There are more conspiracy theories surrounding Earhart than there were fleas on my dog.

Kelley's taped Conversation with Reineck I have. I play it to myself when I need cheering up. It could form a basis for a new comedy show if it was not so tragic. An old man, in dementia, gets fed leading questions by another old man intent on digging out of the party of the first part the information that he had Earhart at his home at Rumson NJ. How could anybody think that after Japan had been defeated that the Emperor would still have Earhart locked up in the palace ? He had the power of a 5 watt lamp. Since when did Eisenhower leave the troops behind in Japan and why would the Emperor hold Eamon De Valera the "emperor" of Ireland ? You didn't put those bits on pprune did you Chuckles ?

Back to Fred Goerner: Goerner saw a message in a USN file which puzzled him. He saw a message in there which had originated from Nauru Radio that they had heard a radio call, "Land in sight ahead.." on 6210Kcs and which had been timed at (in the book) 1030am Local on board the USCG Itasca. Georner writes (to the effect): "...so nearly two hours after the supposedly last transmission heard by Itasca at 0844am Local, Nauru hears "Land in sight ahead" on AE's frequency". Goerner wrote that in the first edition of his book "The Search for Amelia Earhart" but left it out of the second edition because by then he had grasped the Saipan Theory and the call didn't fit with it.

So what have we got there, if AE Tx'd "Land in sight ahead" at 1030 am Local on the Itasca ? What we have is a call at 2200GMT, one and three-quarters of an hour "after" the supposedly last call at 2014GMT (0844am Local at the Itasca).

Where would the land be ? Well, we have the report that she was heard in the darkness of the early hours on Tabiteuea Island in The Gilberts.....going overhead. No time given. Tabiteueans didn't wear wristwatches then but that is he wrong time of day... that would be heading "East"...

How far can the Electra travel in 1.75 hours at Cruise ? I say 300 miles.
If she set the power to give her magic 150mph G/S in nil wind conditiond and leaves it there, the now tailwind will give her a boost. She is light also. I am saying she could make 175 mph G/S. 1.75 x 175 = 305 miles. On approaching Howland, Earhart would be steering 068 degrees M according to Clarence Williams strip maps. The wind was from around 082 on the way out at the Ontario, so if anything, with the overcast conditions that she radioed and no ASTRO, the Electra is going to be blown north of track. If the wind is as high as my research is showing, then she is going to be short of Howland and she is not going to know "how far" short.

Remember, she could not get a "minimum" on the DF...too far a range perhaps ?

It makes logical sense to say that if she turned back and was seeing land at 2200GMT, then she was seeing Tabiteuae or Nonouti Atoll. By this time she has 240 USG left, maybe a bit more.

What would you do, if you knew that your aircraft at 10,000 feet could use as little as 20 USGPH and still achieve 120 mph IAS ?
What about going a little higher, how much would it use then ?
What kind of a TAS would it have there and what would it achieve if it has 15, 20 mph of wind blowing up the back ?

There is a little known fact that Earhart did fly the Electra at 12,000 feet in the U.S., so she would know what it could do at that altitude.

Three radio calls were heard by Nauru Radio at 6:31pm, 6:43pm and 6:54pm (Rabaul Local time) on 6210kcs and at that time, Nauru reception on HF is within range of an aircraft approaching Rabaul from the East. The words were unintelligible. Who would be in the air at that time anywhere in the Pacific within radio range of Nauru ?

I leave you with this thought also. Last year in Port Morbid, I was introduced to a Mortlock Islander who had stated to a friend of mine (in a discussion about the need for an airstrip out there), that his grandfather had told him of an aircraft flying over the Mortlocks well before the time of the "Big Fight". What aircraft would that be that could fly a 660 mile round trip from Rabaul (nearest airstrip) out over the Mortlocks and return before WWII ?

Running out of time here, got to pack for "Paradise".......

Regards,

Dave Billings.

Last edited by David Billings; 25th Feb 2018 at 11:30.