PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amelia Earhart PNG Theory
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2009, 04:42
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dave I didn't post tongue in cheek because I find Admiral Chester Nimitz's and Wally Shirra's words compelling. They, at least, believed she had not died near Howland Is in 1937. The pictures of 'Irene' in 1966 compared to earlier AE pictures are interesting too.

I am perplexed though that Beyond 37 makes no mention of Noonan's fate nor does it seek to explain how AE, if she had deliberately sought to 'drop out', managed to convince FN to go along with it.

What is the truth behind the AE commemorative stamp issue - you would think copies would be available still and examples posted on the Beyond 37 website?

Why would she try for Lae when Rabaul makes much more sense? New Ireland is a pretty reasonable aiming point for DR. I first heard the ENB crash site story when based in Rabaul and could never work out why she would head for Lae.

The US Govt spares absolutely no expense looking for the mortal remains of its serviceman from WW2, Korea and Vietnam. I flew the Graves Reg guys from Hawaii around more than a few times in PNG in the 80s/90s and they are a dedicated bunch - one of their Officers said to me once, "We have a blank cheque - no budget constraints".

If you have a piece of paper with her airframe serial number on it I would have thought they would crawl over broken glass to put a team in from Graves Registration.

Personally I think the most likely scenario is they ended up in the water somewhere - but stranger things than the Emelia/Irene scenario have been known to happen.

Certainly your assumptions posted above are interesting too - Good luck with it.