PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 27th Jul 2009, 04:26
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HarryMan;
That's a nomogram.. very clever things nomograms. Reading them can sometimes be, er... 'less than obvious'. Drawing them up, even more so...
Oh, so that's why I couldn't read it... It is REALLY confusing - arrows going in different directions etc - I followed one data point to get the high speed buffet at 205k kgs, (> M0.87) and gave up.
Aware that you may well not sign up to that, even as pure speculation at this stage.
Well, I'm not a convinced Airbus believer and not a convinced automation user. I understand it, can use it and recover from screw-ups but two things, (obvious to all, now) mitigate full enthusiasm: Automation robs situational awareness through absence of physical/sensory cues of flying the machine and as a result atrophes flying and thinking skills, and when automation degrades it can overwhelm even a highly competent, well-trained crew. Other than that, automation, used as intended, (not an airplane babysitter but tool for accuracy, predictability and timeliness of action), I am enthusiastic because it is a flight safety enhancement.