PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan XH 558 Threads (merged)
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2009, 17:26
The Flying Stool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I the only person that believes the Vulcan is being displayed far too sedately? I have seen the Vulcan display numerous times and it frequently fails to inspire. Yesterday I attended the Sunderland Airshow and witnessed the 'Vulcan effect'- the crowds rushing towards the display line to see the Vulcan. Many of those rushing there were of an age who would remember the vulcan displays of old. All were visibly dissapointed after the display. I have noticed this after every other display I have attended. The public are the financiers of the Vulcan and they deserve to see it displayed to a standard that shows off the aircraft well. As a first officer on an aircraft of similar dimentions (737-300), I am fully aware of the type of display that can safely be performed. I am also fully aware the the TVOC are trying to make the aircraft last up to 10 years, however, if it continues displaying in its current format, airshow organisers will not want to book the Vulcan as spectators will become bored of it. Although the aircraft is the only airworthy example and therefore it is understandable that the operators do not want to perform any manouvres that will shorten the fatigue life of the airframe considerably, I have seen much more rare and arguably more valuable aircraft (such as the BBMF Lancaster and Sally B to name but a couple) displayed in a more dynamic and sprightly manner.

Come on TVOC, give the spectators what they have paid for, displays that make the ground shake and your heart tremble!