PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 6
Thread: Ryanair - 6
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2009, 17:17
ayroplain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Printed Boarding Passes

Interesting conversation I had today with a friend who travels frequently by air - almost every week - and mostly flies Ryanair. By astute use of their website he has hardly ever paid more than £20 for a return flight!!! He travels light and reads/abides by the rules (unlike the idiots who always complain afterwards about having to pay extra at the aiport even though they've ticked the box when booking and confirmed they've read them - his words not mine). He hasn't had a single problem other than a couple of severe weather delays that affected all airlines.
But one problem has now arisen he says that, more than anything else, will deter him from flying FR. It seems that on four of his trips his online printed boarding passes failed to scan at Security and he had to go to a check-in desk where they were replaced with no problem and for no fee. His argument is that should a similar event occur next time that he will be charged £40 for a replacement and since he prints both Outward and Return passes at the same time time there is a good chance that both will be faulty and it will cost an extra £80 which he is not willing to risk. But it isn't just the money. It's the worry each time he sets off on his trips.
I did suggest he buy a new printer but that's no guarantee.

Anyway, I had a look at the FR website and this is what it says:

If you do not check-in online you will be required to pay the relevant fee to re-issue your boarding card at the airport.(Euro 40/ GBP 40), this fee is only available for purchase up to 40 minutes prior to the scheduled flight departure

On that basis he would not be charged the extra as it says the fee is payable if you do not check-in online which he would have done in all cases.
The word issue rather than re-issue would be more correct unless, of course, they don't mean what they say.