PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Slots
Thread: Heathrow Slots
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2002, 08:10
BHPS

CyclicRick

Understand the frustration, but seems to me that what you describe is yet another Airport operator induced regulation, not ATC.

I regularly fly out of an airport in the NE of the UK which operates a large number of helicopters. I can only say that ATC do a fantastic job in mixing helos, that struggle to do anything more than about 120Kts on approach, with the bigger fixed-wing brethren doing 160Kts plus to 4 miles, and all of this regularly in poor weather.

On good days they also have the smaller egg beaters flying in and around the zone mixing it up with the flying club aircraft in addition to the regular scheduled traffic.

However a certain famous airport operator does apply some regulations that the based operators find strange (operating times, etc), but that isn't ATC's fault, they just have to work their way around these regs and take the flak from pilots who do not know or do not understand the airport operators restrictions.

Certainly all the complaints I have read on this subject so far appear to be aimed at the airport operator, not ATC who are doing their best to move us around in the quickest and most efficient way that they can.