PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Voice" in the Left Seat?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2009, 13:01
alouette3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, well, well. Every once in a while this forum can revert to the 1800s when the sun never set on the British Empire.
Maybe, for "colonials" we ought to have pre recorded PA's from the flight deck in an impeccable Eton/Oxford accent.Would that calm the fears of the great unwashed?
For the more discerning traveller,the Airline is probably more important than a calm British voice coming from the speakers. For instance, I would unhesitatingly step into a Singapore Airlines aircraft,knowing fully well that the Captain is probably, Chinese, Singaporean, Malsysian, Indian etc. but flies for a well run and managed airline.Besides, being "tossed about" over the Bay of Bengal can happen to any airline. I don't believe Mother Nature cares what flag you sport on the vertical stab.
If the writer of the article (editor in chief ,no less) does travel as much as he claims he does,it is wasted on him. Travel is supposed to broaden the mind.In his case it has had the opposite effect.
As to my American colleagues :I will take a bloody "rebel" any day over a bloody "colonial" in the cockpit.
Apparently, "redneck" is a state of mind.What's next? a nervous breakdown when you hear a ( by jove, Biggles ,can it be possible?) ---gasp--- a female voice from the flight deck? Very common here on this side of the pond, old chap, so steady on, stiff upper lip and all that if you are travelling in the US.
Alt3