PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BRISTOL - 4
Thread: BRISTOL - 4
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2009, 12:14
anna_list

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair at Bristol

Hi,

Here are a few more stats for the first half of the year, for those that are interested in that kind of thing.

For Jan-Jun 09 Ryanair pax at Bristol were down over 10% on the same period last year with about 9% fewer movements, hence overall loads slightly down. Compared to other bases in the UK, Bristol is near the bottom of the league, with only Bournemouth producing worse average loads. As usual, this carries the standard health warning about loads and yields.

As MerchantVenturer mentioned above, the stars in terms of loads are Poznan, Wroclaw and Riga.

The stagglers are Eindhoven (46% average flown LF so far this year) and Knock, which seems to be taking an absolute hammering (38% average flown LF so far this year, compared to 48% for the same period last year). This surely can't be sustainable? Knock seems to be suffering on all the regional UK routes (EMA 49% this year, LPL 47%, BHX 57%, MAN 67%).

@Standard Noise: That's a brilliant idea, but please don't tell Mo'L. I could just imagine him staging a sighting.

Bristol - Shannon has carried roughly the same number of passengers as in the first half of last year, but the number of flights was up by over 25%, resulting in a fall in loads from 66% to 52%.

Of the routes that have already been dropped, loads were poor on Szczecin, but Gdansk was up with Riga and Wroclaw in the first quarter. I guess yields were a bit rubbish.

Another route to watch is Bergamo where Ryanair are fighting with Easyjet over the Milan market. In the first half of the year, Ryanair's loads were down slightly (about 55%) with capacity virtually unchanged. Easyjet trimmed capacity by about 10% and improved their loads from 64% to 67%. Ryanair have a slightly higher market share (just over 51%), but there's not much between the two carriers. I would be hugely surprised if this situation is profitable for either of them. Surely something will have to give?