PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DURHAM TEES VALLEY AIRPORT - 4
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2009, 10:40
JKKne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not an aviation expert and I would never proclaim to be but I can't help but feel increasing sorrow for events at DTV.

I do have a fondness for the airport, expressed in previous post and even more so with the increasing blandness of Newcastle though compared to my current home airport of El Prat BCN it's a nirvana.

Reading the press from back home it's amazed me how duped BBC NE, the Gazette and the Echo have become. Hundreds of jobs? Executive aircraft? Aimed at who?

Yes its in proximity to a lot of Sunderland and Middlesbrough players (and the Dragon Bannatyne) but I'd imagine they'd use private transport anyway

Grand Central are doing their best and looking increasingly competent I hear, against National Distress East Coast and Newcastle continues to offer flights in abundance to the London hubs from 3 seperate airlines

I worry as to what market is there for DTV? My daughter back home tried to book a package out to Mallorca from DTV and the price was coming in at around £200 more from LBA and £230 from NCL. She could get a shuttle taxi up and still save! She desperately wants to use DTV but is finding herself priced out

Economically we are in hard times but I can never see DTV emerge from NCL's shadow unless a major player stepped in and went serious with lo-co but even then would it be enough?

JK