PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1:60 rule
Thread: 1:60 rule
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2009, 08:14
ExSp33db1rd

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Preferably all of the above !

Flying my single seat microlight around NZ, it's a real hardship not getting that first cup of coffee 30 secs after lift off. ( or the Brake Dwell Cocktail after landing - but that's a secret - and my lips are sealed ! )

Read my post #26. It's Horses for Courses, put me in front of an FMS or a Glass Cockpit and I wouldn't have a clue ( at least, not much ) I don't even answer a Text message on my cellphone - too hard, but if the methods you are happy with, work for you, no problem, but if I were Pilot Chick I'd have run off screaming under the nearest passing bus by now !

I was told that I'd never make a navigator as long as I had a Hole in my A**** until I'd been over Berlin with the shells coming through the cockpit whilst I was trying to get a 3-wind drift fix with the Drift Sight. I never had to.

I watched my own Nav. students in despair sometimes, trying to cope with Sight Reduction tables and the St. Hilaire method of working out an Astro fix with a sextant - then came along INS and now GPS, and they've never had to.

Of course one must understand the basics before playing with the toys, but after that, whatever works for you, and I repeat - KISS ( Keep It Simple, Stupid )

Recently flying the microlight, I needed a cross bearing, rather than re-programme the panel mounted GPS, I pulled a handheld GPS from my pocket, I guess I could have used ' the-length-of-the-ball-point-pen-cap-equals-20 miles-and-I-can-guess-around-150-deg-relative-bearing ' method, but it was just easier.

QED

Last edited by ExSp33db1rd; 26th Jul 2009 at 08:49.