PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GF to Baghdad and Najaf in Iraq. Your opinion please.
Old 26th Jul 2009, 06:14
Che Guevara

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propellor

Of course, when GF starts, there will be bickerings about safety, "My nationality does not allow me" etc. etc. , but it will subside in a month's time.
I think the 'bickerings' about safety are already happening to some extent and are totally legitimate. Considering that just about every democratic country in the world has up to date and strongly worded travel advisories for Iraq, I'm not sure all will subside as you predict.

Below is just one an example:

There is extreme risk to your safety in Iraq.
We strongly advise against all travel to Iraq and all xxxxx citizens there should depart.
The security situation is extremely dangerous. Hostage taking is prevalent, especially in urban areas.
Widespread violence and kidnappings continue in Iraq, especially in Baghdad, Basra and other urban areas. Many hostages have been killed or remain missing. Threats to foreigners remain high and hotels and restaurants frequented by foreigners, civilian vehicles and aircraft continue to be targeted. Police stations, government buildings, mosques and churches, the Multinational Force and Iraqi military forces also continue to be attacked. Attacks target not only those associated with the Iraqi government but also non-governmental organisations (NGOs), western organisations (UN, ICRC), contractors working on reconstruction projects and journalists.
Baghdad is the major seat of the insurgency and is prey to intensive, ongoing violence. The international zone in Baghdad (the Green Zone) remains under threat and is subject to rocket and mortar attacks.
Presently, few commercial airlines use Baghdad International Airport. Flying by commercial aircraft in Iraq is not recommended as flights have been targeted. The road to the airport is extremely dangerous as vehicles using it are frequently bombed or fired at.
Travel by road is extremely dangerous in many parts of Iraq because of bombings, explosions, robbery and carjacking. There are daily occurrences of roadside bombings in and around Baghdad, main supply routes and Basra.
Curfew times vary throughout the country, can be lengthened at short notice, and must be adhered to. Queries regarding the times should be directed to the MND (Multi National Deployment) headquarters of a particular area.
Apart from this type of information being sent to some of us, there is also the issue of Life Insurance.....check the fineprint.