PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working in New Zealand
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2009, 02:16
GPATC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working in New Zealand

Hello, every one. I have searched the forums and read all that I could about New Zealand ATC jobs, but I wanted to get some additional, and more current info.

I am a Controller in the US, working for the FAA at a combined tower and approach control. We are a mid-level facility with a solid mix of GA, air carrier, and cargo operations.

I have been researching a possible move to New Zealand, having fallen in love with the country while on my honeymoon. My wife would love to live abroad and thinks NZ would be a great place to raise our 2 young children.

Now, I have read earlier comments about Airways New Zealand's tendency to try and recruit experienced controllers, rather than work to retain their own native ATCOs with higher pay. Can anyone tell me what exactly the pay is now? I know there were some contract negotiations in the Spring, however I can't find any actual pay scales online.

Also: 1- Are there any American controllers working down in NZ now? If so, how are they, or other foreign controllers received?

2- I understand that most of the experienced foreign radar controllers work in Christchurch, but what is the Christchurch radar center like? Where in the city is it located?

3. I have read that the shifts tend to be 4 on 2 off, but what about leave. Is it difficult to get time off, like it is here in the US facilities? I don't want to move my family all the way to NZ, if we can't get out and enjoy the country.

4. How are the schools and health care?

We are not the typical American family with the giant house and car, etc. We live fairly simply and would love something better for our children than the direction our society here is moving toward. I want to make an informed decision and not rush off with false ideas about the lifestyle and work.

I appreciate any help you guys can give, and I know I had a lot of questions. Not everything is clearly answered on the NZ immigration site so I would love some real info from actual controllers.

Thanks,
GP