PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2009, 21:21
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sevenfive;
Maybe they dont want to find the recorders...
In any fatal accident, there are always interested parties for whom the existence of data is "inconvenient" and perhaps even harmful to their interests. Safety investigations go where they must of course, regardless of "harm".

I certainly am not alone in experiencing this kind of ostrich-like corporate behaviour when confronted with data that paints an ugly operational picture. Denial's a powerful thing.

However, it is the nature of the process under ICAO Annex 13 that a thorough investigative process will, notwithstanding the capacity and abilities of the investigators in charge under the leadership of the IIC, unfold in a way that will at least ensure that reasonable outcome which is non-conspiratorial in nature and goes where it will regardless of who or what it harms, will obtain.

I am well aware that such outcomes are somewhat ideal and that investigators can "get it wrong" in parts. There are plenty of dissenting views and assessments which go to this point. But that is different than "hoping the recorders won't be found", which I think, while it is not an unrealistic statement, goes to unethical and dangerous thinking.

I was wondering when "Habsheim" would arise in this thread again...