PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA288 Emergency at Phoenix
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2009, 03:44
rottenray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
The major problem was the complete lack of an emergency plan by PHX airport/BA, i.e. why was everybody left on the tarmac for about 20 mins?
The staff are however exceptionally good at collecting excess baggage fees for return travel after the lowering of the recent weight restictions(even selling you a handy tote bag for $25 to put all your excess gear in and carry on as cabin baggage (two pieces, no weight restriction)), and then selecting you for a special security check thus ensuring the delight of an additional half hour with PHX TSA. The idea of 300 odd pax milling around on the apron with large aircraft taxying around and no plan does not surprise me (have been using PHX for the past 12 years on a regular basis).
As a former Phoenix resident, and frequent flier out of Sky Harbor, I can put a "yowsah" behind the comment of that airport being generally disorganized.

It's not that the folk who work there don't give a poop, it's that there are just to few of them.

There are lots of vendors coming in all the time to replenish "vital" supplies like every popular brand of bottled water and ice cream flavor, but if you need real help, like having landed and discovered that all the wheels and tires have been removed from your car parked in long-term, well, good luck.

Virtual ghost town.

On the other hand, BA does a fair number of flights from Barry Goldwater, and I would have assumed that they would have been a bit more prepared.

Looks like this downsizing stuff is bad for everyone, not just pilots and cabin crew.

That's not a knock - I have ultimate respect for both, as they work in conjunction with each other to keep my big bloated butt safe and comfortable.

What's to be done?