PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pel Air vs RFDS for the Air Ambulance contract in Australia
Old 24th Jul 2009, 23:24
Echo Beech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have been following the thread to see if anything useful is said, so far if I had a filter you could kill about 95% of it

I think there are two possible reasons that the NSWAA don't go for the PC12 IMHO.

First off, when the RFDS contract was announced way back in 2001 single engine aircraft were in the tender. Before the tender was officially released it was leaked to the media that PC12's or more correctly SE aircraft was to be an option. The papers reported this and the "safety" issue raised its ugly head. With in one but certainly less than two weeks, any reference to SE aircraft was removed from the tender.

For me personally, and this is just MHO, I with my training feel I can handle an EFATO which is probably the most significant and therefore like the fact that I have two noise makers. But, having said that, we fly to LHI, we sometimes fly either to make first light or leave just prior to last light. I can tell you right now, there is no way I want to be floating in the middle of the pacific ocean at night in the middle of winter because I suffered an engine failure on my only donk. The stats all tell us that a ditching at sea is not a good outcome for the people up the pointy end any how.

Lastly, having done Stats at Uni for three years all I can say is this, "there are lies damned lies and then there are statistics" quoted by many
Lies, damned lies, and statistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Echo Beech; 24th Jul 2009 at 23:25. Reason: Punctuation and spacing