PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Hold Pool News
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2009, 21:16
757_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wobble - thanks for all that - but at the risk of appearing pessimistic - I still don't see that there is the economy, or market for BA to expand. The plan they have at the moment may look like 2011 recruitment is going to happen, but I still think there is another chapter to be written in this whole affair (the country / global economy, not just BA!).
I'm sure BA will sort the unite issue - after all there are 3 million unemployed - 1 million of which are 18-25 year olds - Unite must understand that they can't push it too much. I'm also sure that BA will stay in business and become 'fit' to suit the market going forward. However the govnerments response to Ryanairs threats are that they are going to push ahead with the Air passenger duty rises and are not going to help the industry at all, Cameron's lot apear to be buying al this environmental bull as well, so no help expected there either.
This year, despite the recession, the other hub airports in europe have seen passenger rises, indicating that transit pax are starting to avoid the UK. couple this with the fact that there is absolutely no indication of any economic recovery, then I really cannot see where BA expect to get the passenger growth to fit this plan.

I hope i'm wrong, but I don't think I will be. I guess I'll come back and have a look in 2012 and add another post to this thread!