PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I guess they don't like Heli's !!!!
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2009, 18:58
Benet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helicopter noise

There has been 2 today, quite a good day, I still heard them, but strangely they made me smile and now I am missing them!

But like I have said, it is not 2 or 5 that bother me, it is when it gets to 20 it gets too much. Really hard to ignore them when the windows are open or you are outside.

But, the next one I see will probably get a cheery wave rather than a manic hand gesture Unless it is the really deep sounding one.....
Signs of an improving attitude?

I get hacked off when a helicopter flies overhead, but only because I'm not up there flying it! Seriously, have a ride in a helicopter. If I wasn't stuck out in Abu Dhabi I'd be delighted to offer you a ride, preferably from your garden. It's an experience which melts the hardest attitude.

Most of the helicopters I fly are piston-engined and surprisingly quiet - I measure the effect I'm having by the reaction of farm animals, which I try not to scare. Horses in particular are easily startled and I do my best not to upset them when I land at the many farms and isolated houses I visit when I'm in Britain.

My little civilian helicopters are nothing compared to the thunderous noise (which I love, but others don't) of military helis. And city dwellers who dislike long periods of police aircraft overhead have a point - as do the police, who are usually doing something which demands a hover or a low orbit for the public good.

I can only implore you to have a trial lesson. Then you'll associate the sound of a heli overhead with a happy memory.