PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Pel Air vs RFDS for the Air Ambulance contract in Australia
Old 24th Jul 2009, 13:32
rcoight

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, you are missing something.

As you say, those stats refer only to ACCIDENTS, whether in a single or twin is not the point.

It also doesn't count all the times a single-engine turboprop loses the engine and lands safely, thus not counting as an "accident".

Many studies of the accident statistics have come to the same conclusion:

That is: If you lose an engine, you are less likely to die if it was the only engine, rather than one of two.

To put it simply; the FATAL ACCIDENT RATE (ie. fatal accidents per x hours flown across the whole fleet) after an engine failure is, for single-engine turboprops, 1/3 of that for multi-turboprops.

Everyone has a very entrenched opinion on "safety" and those figures may seem completely the opposite of what one would expect, but they are the FACTS...

Perhaps those who put together the requirements for various contracts are less interested in the truth than the perceived truth...

If someone has an analysis of the accident statistics that suggests the opposite of what I have shown, please go ahead and show us all.

I won't hold my breath...

Note: I am only commenting on the "bag the safety of the PC12" debate, not on the B200 v B350 debate, which is another thing altogether. I do find it extremely amusing that those who are happy to bag the PC12 about "safety" get all up in arms about any suggestion that the B350 is safer than the B200!!

LOL!!