Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2009, 06:27
eswdev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Causes

The first ACARS message after 0210 was

2:10:10 - .1/WRN/WN0906010210 221002006AUTO FLT AP OFF

This indicates that the autopilot has been automatically switched off. I'm not a pilot, so I ask those who are familiar with standard procedures:

a) when the decision is taken to avoid potentially hazardous weather systems, is it necessary to switch the autopilot off?

b) same question regarding autothrust.

c) assuming that the answer to both these questions is YES, and given the final known position of the ill-fated flight (I understand that it was relatively close to an active weather system), is it surprising that both autopilot and autothrust were ON at 0210? That is, if they had been turned off temporarily to evade weather, is it likely that they would have been turned on again in relative proximity to the weather?

c) could the aircraft continue to fly more or less in a stable way for some time if there was no pilot control after the loss of autopilot and autothrust?

d) if a Mayday was sent, is it likely that it would have been received by other aircraft in the vicinity?

e) how much redundancy is there in systems to detect loss of cabin pressure on this model of aircraft?

My questions are partly motivated by discussion a while ago about the possibility of flight crew incapacitation. I thought it was significant that autopsies reportedly showed that the recovered victims did not die by drowning.

Robert

Last edited by eswdev; 24th Jul 2009 at 06:46. Reason: Clarification and addition