PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rolls Royce RR500
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2009, 01:23
bellsux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I do agree that it is an old design that has been redrawn but I do see the logic behind it as it would make installation into the 206 and 500 etc a lot easier. Sometimes 're badging' can show real changes (AS350B - BA - B2 - B3) and other times not so much... Bell 205 - Bell 210.

For the operators flying 300 hrs a year chugging around the UK from airfield to airfield with a couple of pax it would not be a viable option to swap out the engine but for an operator that really needs the hot and high performance it would make sense. Trying to get off the ground in a 206 on a 40 degree day with some sort of load is not uncommon with a lot of operators around here. So it is not the pure horsepower enhancement operators need as the 206 airframe can only take so much anyway but an engine that doesn't run out of puff.
Would the 2000 / 4000 TBO justify the extra costs of retrofiting?
How much better is the 'improved gearing', does this mean it can go to TBO without pulling a chip plug?
I like the absense of the axial compressor, no more 300 hr case half splits.
Are there any enhancements to the turbine? single crystal blades?

Anyway I am not a big fan of the RR250 series but interested in this design as it does seem like a big improvement on a lot of things I hated in the old... as for the fuel control I wish they could make one as good as the Arriel for the 250 series.