PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 18:41
stuart955

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, just had a look on the Student Room sticky on UAS's. I can't join one because my chosen branch is Pilot and they won't accept you if your interest is a role you won't be eligible for once you graduate. I will be 24 when I graduate.

Would it be possible to explain that I understand I will be too old to be a pilot with the RAF, but am looking into the FAA and want some flying experience, so would prefer UAS to URNU?

Or is it probably best to go to an URNU, where I will be totally immersed in all things Navy, which will much better prepare me for AIB if I ever get there? Also, I was told by a young trainee pilot on 727 NAS, "Ask enough and you get." Do you reckon I'd still be able to pursue the chance of getting some military flying experience if I go to a URNU, then just keep pestering for it?

I should also mention I'm looking into the Royal Navy Special Flying Award - can anyone shed any light on that? What's it like, e.g. the application process, what the happens on the course etc. This 727 NAS lad also said it was the best two weeks of his life - flying and getting pissed!