PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trouble in the United Arab Emirates
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 18:15
PorkKnuckle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
government can do more, but so can the expats, firstly by learning more about this culture and what it may add to your cultural wealth
Culture? Do you mean beyond: mobile phones, land cruisers and fast driving, desert safaris, malls and tall buildings? They used to have some nice old buildings in Dubai but they knocked them all down to make buildings that look old (eg: Madinat) or sound old (eg: "Olde" Town).

The only culture (I think) I have ever seen here is a bunch of guys in a line, all in white and waving miniature goat-herding sticks up and down, to the beat.

I wish there was more of cultural significance to see and do besides celebrate the new mall or indoor ski hill.

you would expect the same of an expat coming to live in your country, why can't locals expect the same of expats coming to live here?
Do you really need it pointed out to you that 'they' would be treated as a citizen in your country whereas 'they' treat the expats as a contractor who is welcome to LEAVE as soon as his usefulness expires... Good for them though. Can't say I blame them really.