PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK PPL to FAA CPL then into a UK CPL
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 17:15
chris2309

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I have been in talks with the CAA for the last couple of months.

Before Nov 2006, the standards for the medical were:

Initial Class 1, eyesight had to be between -5 and +5
Renewal Class 1, eyesight had to be between -8 and +5.

If your eyesight was between the limits of -8 for renewal and -5 for initial, the CAA would consider giving you a deviation, which meant you could only fly UK aircraft. Then when your renewal was due, providing you were still between -8 and -5, you were then eligible for a normal class 1.

After the change in Nov 2006, the initial standards are between -6 and +5. But for the renewal, the limit is +5 for long sightedness and there is no limit for short-sightedness, hence the deviation route is no longer applicable as everyone would fall in between the limits for initial and renewal.

When I last spoke to the CAA a few weeks back, I asked the lady on the phone to explain to me the logic behind why I, as an initial candidate, would fail a medical because of my eyesight, but someone who already flies on a class 1 and has the same eyesight standards as me could continue to have class 1. Surely both of our eyesight’s pose the same safety risk regardless of the fact that one of us already holds a class 1 or not. When asked she basically changed the subject, whether because she didn’t know the answer or was simply tired of getting into the same debate she has had with other people.

In a nutshell, the CAA has told me on the phone and in writing that I could gain a class 1 if I hold a foreign CPL.

John, gathering from your last post, have you had laser surgery on your eyes? This again is another strange rule as the CAA won’t grant you a class 1 after you have had laser surgery done if your eyes were outside the limits before hand – even if your eyes are absolutely perfect post-op