PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 14:57
d3vski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAA class 1 medical (specifically Visual Field test)

Hi,

Ive always wanted to be a pilot since i can remember. Ive been working hard and saving money for the last few years but ive got a serious problem which may put a serious dent in my plans.

Ive worn glasses since i was about 14 years old. The actual vision is only -1.5 in both eyes, so nothing major. Ive know to myself that i was weak in left eye but i assumed that its because im right handed/right footed etc.

so about six months ago, i was about to put my modular plans into action and i went to my Optician for a quick check up. They put me in one of those Visual Field tests and my left eye has about 60% view.

So i got referred to a opthalmist who checked my eyes inside and out and found no physical problem with them. I got transferred to a neurosurgeon who put me through an MRI and it was found that my nerve in the left eye was not developed as it should have been but ive led normal life (driving, sports etc) because my brain is used to only what i see because i was born with the crappy nerve.

I need to ask, in the CAA class 1 medica. what kind of visual test do they do? and more importantly, when it comes to possible airline medicals for jobs, how in depth do they check Visual field?

thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.