PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Trouble in the United Arab Emirates
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 13:05
Mustapha Rex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Critical?

Now one may easily criticise the "locals" for what has happened here, however easy that maybe, it is simply shortsighted and baseless.

While the whole show was pumping cash into everyone's pockets, everyone took it and never complained, today the same ones who took, stand there pointing the fingers!

If anything it shows the breed of expats that have unfortunately made it to the sandlands over the las ten years or so, bringing with them the greed culture of the 90's and little benevolence for any value, and they are everywhere! Cockpit crew, cabin, real estate agents, door to door salesmen even the surly look of a department store clerk says it all: I am here just for the money, don't have any? I don't want to know you!

And this can only go on for a limited time, for the nature itself of these people ensures that they end up eating one another just as they are doing now.

This is a market economy, to what degree, maybe an issue, that does not mean that anyone can stand here and criticise willy nilly as if no achievements have been done.

Look at the roads, the infrastructure, the way business is done, the facilities, the schools, the hotels and errrr, I nearly forgot , yes, the Burj! And there maybe construction and there maybe traffic jams, but Dubai is a city with a life better than any other of the cities surrounding it, and we ar elucky to be here.

It will take decades for other cities to reach this level of urbanism and this standard of lifestyle, and for once it is happening in a part of the world where no one expected it.

Yes the UAE government can do more, but so can the expats, firstly by learning more about this culture and what it may add to your cultural wealth, you would expect the same of an expat coming to live in your country, why can't locals expect the same of expats coming to live here?

And have beer after you read this, maybe it is after all what is missing to this parody!