PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I guess they don't like Heli's !!!!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 10:27
low-and-loud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure what you do actually want us to do about your problem. We are constrained where we fly, by the law and by other factors and are only going about our legal business. Aviation is already one of the most regulated industries. You should realise that we as individuals on this website cannot do what you want with respect to monitoring helicopter movements, any more than could (or should) a driver monitor motorway or other road movements to appease a complainer.
I never expected you to do anything, I had no idea what the outcome of this post would be when I started it. I wanted to understand exactly why they flew directly overhead and what the pilots view was. Obviously all this is with a view to enable me to take steps to moderate the noise somewhat.

You need to understand that heli's flying overhead are different to cars or motorbikes screaming past as they are rarer and impossible to communicate with (for example you could give the finger to an idiot on a bike, but a bit pointless at a heli as I have learned). It is also almost impossible to get any authority to do anything when you believe a law MUST be being broken.

I know that in this case it is unlikely any laws are being broken, and you can rightly defend yourselves in this knowledge, but the MP's said similar about the expenses "we broke no rules". I am not comparing you in any way to them, merely pointing out that the rules/laws are not in the interests of everyone (maybe the majority, maybe the minority, impossible to tell without stats)

I know you are already heavily regulated, and also probably follow them very well, but you have to see that aviation does have exceptions from rules which usually apply to all other forms of industry. I am intelligent enough to know why this is (avaition would collapse if they had to comply) with the obvious loss of many good things that aviation brings.

I suppose putting a human face (if that is possible on a forum?) to the noisy and pretty menacing machines with blacked out windows and impossible to read registrations has helped, what has really helped is the offer to avoid area if I am brave enough to post where it is. Also I hope that I would be able to post a pic of the worst offender when I get one, to see if I can get an ID so I can contact the owner and plead my case.

Also I hope that you are a little more understanding of the issues you can cause and the sometimes complex reasons as to why reactions against you can be so strong. A persons reaction is not always unique to them or their fault, many could react the same way in the same situation.

I dont think it is unreasonable to expect necessary noise to be spread around fairly where possible, and for the law to support such action. In this case the laws are at fault, not the pilots who cause the noise and I apologise for any offence I may have caused with the "childish" comment (although I still believe that altering a poll to reflect your views is not professional in any way)

Different sides of the fence, I just hope that you never find yourselves my side