PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign pilots flying for US Carriers
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 05:33
USav8or

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've provided some links to back up my point, here's another with the following judgement

(a). Cease and desist from the unfair immigration-related employment
practice found in this case, i.e., preference for U.S. citizen hires in
violation of 8 U.S.C. § 1324b;

http://www.usdoj.gov/eoir/OcahoMain/...Volume1/74.pdf

I’ve tried to read the entire document and it wasn’t easy… I failed my English Legalese class…

I’m a little confused why you'd bring up this particular case? It's a 20+ year old case and it deals with a small (at the time) regional airline; most of all there is this statement in there clarifying that ‘intending to become a US citizen" is no longer required:

“Contrary to its prior position, the Department no longer requires that a declaration be completed and filed before the occurrence of the alleged discrimination. That change in policy and interpretation which became effective on November 30, 1988…”

Way before my time but from what I understand in the past people used to sign a statement saying that one day they’d apply for US citizenship. However, that "promise" was never followed up on so many people never applied despite signing the form…

In a way it’s similar to today when many people become dual citizens despite the "promise" they make to the US - “…I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;…”

I’m sure you know some pilots who’re dual citizens, don’t you? So it’s another one of those "we would like for you to do this but we won’t actually enforce it" deals…

In your example, after 1988 they even stopped asking people to obligate themselves to apply for the US citizenship (at least according to your article)… That's my, admittedly limited, understanding of this whole procedure...

Either way, you believe the US airlines have a hidden anti-alien agenda while I don’t, even though I acknowledge there are some biased individuals out there – so let’s agree to disagree… I only wish the European airlines were as accommodating to American pilots in Europe as the US airlines are to the European pilots (in both cases I’m talking about permanent residents.) Disclaimer – born and raised in Europe myself…

I would be interested to see the stats you talk about, especially since 2005/06 among some majors. And I'm only talking about new hires since then, not pilots already employed who were foreigners.

Since you mentioned CAL before - in the last 3 years or so I know of 2 Norwegians and 1 German hired at CAL… One of them was in one of the last classes they had… The German is about to become a US citizens; not because he has to but because he wants to be able to vote – he wasn’t too happy about the last prez election… Either way, I’m sure you’ll run into discrimination every now and then but I think you’ll see that everywhere… ACLU would’ve loved to represent you or your friend…

I'm happy at the major where I work, but I know that I've seen this kind of thing with others in the past. Not a matter of sour grapes as things turned out for the better anyway. Just relaying some experiences from myself and others.

I agree with you that things always happen for a reason so I’m glad you’re happy where you are.

Take care…

Last edited by USav8or; 26th Jul 2009 at 07:19.