PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 407 Pilot speaks out
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2009, 21:03
S.F.L.Y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only people who have a right to bitch about fatigue are the long haul guys who have done it
Thinking that only long haul pilots can get fatigued doesn't seems right to me. I would like to mention some discreet and humble guys who are still conducting medevac flights under conditions you can't imagine. At 3AM, freezing for 2 hours in an old piper Cheyenne waiting for the medical staff to bring back a kidney from the hospital before flying the next leg with some nice single pilot night NDB procedure and without knowing when they'll get some rest.

I was sometime helping a friend used to do these flights, flying with him or just helping him to prepare the aircraft. One night he felt asleep on his wheel while towing the plane and we both went out of the taxiway... 15 mins later he was taking of for a 6 hours trip with underpaid foreign medical staff, all working hard at saving somebody's life. 2 years ago another friend of mine lost his life with 4 doctors on board, hitting end of runway trees during a late departure. This was one of the rare occasions their remarkable job was noticed in the newspapers.

This is not long haul flights but at the end of the day when you are waking up drinking 2 red bulls and can't copy a freq without asking ATC to repeat it, I think there is a threat to flight safety, and I used to call it fatigue.

Last edited by S.F.L.Y; 22nd Jul 2009 at 21:52.