PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modern Transport Aircraft Stability Question
Old 22nd Jul 2009, 20:24
MarkMcC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually...you can experience something very similar in your car (this is why test pilots should have their driving licenses removed upon qualification ).

Compare, for example, a smaller import vehicle with one of the big American sedans with power steering that lets you turn the wheel with one finger.

Find a stretch of road with a long curve, and then put the driver's side wheels onto the white line and keep them there. Be as accurate as you can, and accept very little error. You will find that the task requires much less conscious thought, fewer wheel inputs, and is essentially 'easier' in the vehicle with the 'heavier' steering (to a point). Now, move the wheels off the white line and attempt to recapture it fairly quickly - same result. This illustrates very nicely the concept of force gradient compared with task workload.

Disclaimer: You do not need to be going fast or on sharp curves to try this out. If you are going to try anything like this please be prudent - I know it should go without saying...but this is the internet...I post this here strictly to illustrate a concept under discussion in a situation that most pilots can relate to. I accept no responsibility for cars flying off cliffs because someone wanted to try a test method...