PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advise about talking to the press
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2009, 14:55
Lunchmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've contemplated posting on this thread for a couple of hours in the knowledge that I’m clearly risking a flaming for sticking my head above the parapet Finally I've decided that if no-one else is going to try and defend journalists I'll take the abuse and give it a stab.

I’m happy to admit I’m a journalist and PPL who reads/uses this forum. This thread does make for disturbing reading for any media professional and most of us journalists are aware of how we are perceived by the public. Here’s my take on the above:

Firstly, some context. I’m a business journalist so my work is mainly involved in covering the City. However, I also get the opportunity to write some general aviation features for our readers who include many private pilots and aviation fans. I’ve flown and written stories on aerobatics with Ultimate High and the Red Bull Air Race, business pieces about Gama Aviation and Jet Republic, flown the Harvard at Goodwood and more recently experienced formation aerobatics with The Blades. I’ve also interviewed well-known pilots such as Mark Jefferies and Peter Teichman. Naturally I consider myself very lucky and privileged to be able to do this occasionally in the name of work.

I have never received a complaint about misinterpreting or misrepresenting any of these people or organisations (although one did mention I once used the wrong figure for the entry speed into an aerobatic manoeuvre). I also consider myself a big supporter of general aviation – I even once received a letter from the General Aviation Awareness Council thanking me for a piece I wrote in a trade newspaper about how local authorities can protect airfields and how vital aviation is to communities.

I’m not a local news reporter so I can’t speak for those guys or tabloid journalism in general. But I would admit that there is a tendency in the media to always go for the sensational – it is what sells newspapers. Be it the biggest number, most astonishing fact or most daring escapade, drama is what readers want. Unfortunately the pursuit of sales can get in the way of the facts on too many occasions. It dismays journalists as well as non-journalists that this can happen and gives the whole industry a bad reputation. There is no defence for the kind of reporting that deliberate distorts the facts. News reports should let the facts speak for themselves and let the reader make up their own mind. Anything else is comment.

More generally I think there is down to a lack of willingness among some news journalists to really find out about what’s going on and to understand a subject properly before putting pen to paper. I can’t get away with that in business journalism because our readers would spot the lack of knowledge and pick me up on it very quickly.

But do we need to look to ourselves in aviation for this lack of understanding? Many other industries spend a lot of time and money trying to educate the press. Could aviation do more? I think too many people out there are prepared to just dismiss the media as a bunch of mavericks without trying to help enhance understanding and promote this fantastic pursuit of flying we all enjoy. But I feel no-one else is going to promote this industry for us. We must do it ourselves. It is easy to stand on the sidelines and pontificate while doing nothing.

Any pilot who has the chance to chat to a journalist and explain what it’s all about could aid understanding for the inevitable time when a reporter has to write an aviation-related story. At the least they could set themselves up as an informal contact to ask for an explanation of a technical concept or just to help with the terminology – on the other hand they could just point the journalist to the AOPA for an answer. Maybe it would mean the end of these stories quoting witnesses to a crash saying things like “and I heard the engine stall” when they mean the engine stopped. I know I'd rather get the gen from someone informed.

In terms of advice for dealing directly with the media, my views reflect some of what’s mentioned above. If you have doubt or reservations then don’t do it. You could, however, regard this as an opportunity to present your side of the story because the media WILL go ahead and run an article based on the facts they do have already or uninformed comments from others as I mentioned above.

While you’re under no obligation to speak have you thought about emailing the reporter a quote that you’d be happy to see appear in print? You therefore at least have control of what you have provided and can’t get tripped up by questioning or have your words misinterpreted. You need not go into huge amounts of detail. Just a snappy sentence or two will suffice. Journalists are busier than ever before because there are fewer of us around so make it easy for us and give us a soundbite you are happy with.

Sorry for the essay but if the above is useful or interesting to a single person on here then it is worthwhile. Maybe it goes some way to try and show not all journalists are ignorant, prone to sensationalism and total scumbags.

It appalls me to read this thread but it also frustrates me that all journalists are tarred with the same brush as tabloid reporters. The vast majority of us are trying to do the best we can at what is increasingly a difficult job. Some of us love aviation as much as you do and go out of our way to present flying in as positive light as possible.

Cityflyer