PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA BA Ballot 94% In Favour
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2009, 13:48
Bucking Bronco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Market rate and BA CC wages?

BA Cabin Crew wages bear no resemblance to market rate. The Missus used to be CC for a well known charter airline out of LGW, her pay slips (from 4 years ago admittedly) varied between £850 to £1800 and that’s full time. Around the same time one of her friends was an IFS for Virgin (equivalent to BA CSD) who told us that her take home varied between £1500 and £1900.

This explains why, generally, Cabin Crew who work for other airlines either tend to be young (living with parents or in shared house) and will do the job for 3-7 years or will be the 2nd wage earner in the household. At BA the terms and conditions for CC are such that it allows people to stay, make a career and able to be the principle wage earner.

A lot of crew who say that they are not overpaid would do well to look at other airlines and ask themselves what are the T’s and C’s like elsewhere? Pilots in BA if they were “transplanted” to another similar carrier (e.g. Virgin, Lufthansa, Air France, United etc) would find comparable Ts and Cs.

I have seen payslips and heard anecdotal figures for Long Haul Heathrow CC which state full time wages for main crew at around £1400 - £2900 depending on allowances, Pursers £1800 - £3500. So out in the real world, what sort of jobs are out there that would pay this sort of money?

A very good friend of mine is an Air Traffic Controller who has been qualified and “pushing tin” for 4 years – take home pay each month? £2,700 and this is after training for years to get into his position.

One of my brothers is a computer programmer for a Bank in the City, he has 4 A levels, an Engineering Degree and a Masters in Computer Programming. He’s been in the industry for 7 years, starts work at 7.45am, finishes at around 7.00pm and his take home pay at the end of each month is... £ 2,900.

Food for thought.