PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 22nd Jul 2009, 11:37
stuart955

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Level of recruitment with F-35 coming in?

Just a quick one.

During an Air Experience Day at RAF Leeming, a trainee on 727NAS said that now of all times is best apply for pilots, as they are at an all time shortage with the impending introduction of about 100 new jets - "although we don't have them yet, we need trained pilots ready, as opposed to new planes and no one to fly them."

So I'm wondering, when he says now is a good time to apply, what sort of time span is 'now'? I've read varying accounts which generally seem to suggest the new planes will be here between 2010 - 2014. My problem is that I'm looking to get myself off to university this year, so won't be applying for another 3 years (or 2 or 1 if I feel ready and prepared to apply for a bursary and Direct Entry)

Can anyone provide any hints as to weather I might be slimming my chances by not applying ASAP? (I don't want to apply right now as I've come to realise I'm not ready yet - I'm going to join a UAS or URNU to get myself more confident and capable with the people and environments I would be encountering during selection)