PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advise about talking to the press
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2009, 21:45
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rule number one of the Press: Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

However, you may enjoy this one. About 15 years ago a l7 year old on a gliding scholarship scheme while flying with an instructor on a sporting day, had a front seat experience of failing to reach the airfield and having caught a wing on an inconvenient tree, cartwheeled into what was fortunately a very very soft muddy field. Arriving on the scene, tremendously relieved to find them both unhurt, I took some souvenir photos of the wreckage, and sent copies to the young lad so he could impress his school chums with his adventure.

Week later, got a call from the newspapers. Heard about the crash, can you give us details? Well, I said, nobody hurt, yes, some damage to the glider, but gliders do field landings all the time, no big deal.

I didn't realise the lad had shared the photos with the media. They featured the spectacular wreckage under the heading "Gliding Club Representative says this happens all the time. . . . . . . . ."