PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wearing uniform in public
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2009, 19:56
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
If one is required to carry a hat, the most convenient place to stick it is upon ones head
Not always so. I once had a wonderfully bashed SD cap - it had spent all of Gulf War 1 in the bottom of my helmet bag. It was so floppy that it could easily be stuffed into a flying suit lower leg pocket...

Until the Boss spotted it. No "Get a new hat, BEagle!" - he took the simpler expedient of feeding it to a mate's labrador...

After prising it from the beast's dripping jaws, I shoved it in my helmet bag again and forgot about it - I had another 'Parades, weddings and bollockings' hat - this then became my in-use hat. Unfortunately I left it behind one day when flying to Incirlik for a few weeks as DetCo and had to use the labrador-slobbered SD cap (with a large chunk out of the peak!) during the daily dash from wherever I'd parked the turbo-Sahin to the morning O-group...

Eventually even the in-use hat was a bit too tatty for anything other than 'normal duties' - so I bought a new 'best hat' for next to nothing from stores .

It was pressed into service a few months later whilst giving the AOC a somewhat sympathetic ear..... Mind you, it cost a ridiculously small amount of dosh - less than £20 in 2002!!

Last edited by BEagle; 21st Jul 2009 at 20:10.