PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2009, 14:06
rusty_tango

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The initial tests

Hi guys,

I am new to all of this and sat the initial entry exam yesterday so thought I would share my experience with you.

I believe the test has changed a little to what it used to be (although I am going on people's threads not experience).

We arrived at the Nats centre in Whiteley, Southampton and filled out a long 'personality questionnaire'. They say it is not part of the exam but a few friends who work in HR say they put it into a computer and it tells them what kind of person you are and whether you're depressed etc.

After this we all went into a room to sit 4 exams. The first being the motivation paper. I was worried about learning all the specs of the planes but you honestly don't need to know how many people can sit on a 737-200 series. If you read everything they give you you should be fine with this.

Next cam the spatial awareness test . OMG I HAVE NEVER EVER SAT ANYTHING SO HARD IN MY LIFE!! I had practiced many of these online but nothing can prepare you for the one they give you. I think there were 40 questions to complete in 20 minutes. An absolute impossibility!! The first couple are fine as the net is in the traditional T shape. However the 2nd and 3rd nets are very tricky to assemble in your head let alone rotate them and answer questions on them. I would say the best prep you can do for this is to design some 3d boxes yourself. There doesn't seem to be much out there on the net.

Third exam was the diagramming one. Not too bad but still quite different to the example they send you. I think you had 20 minutes to complete 60 of these.

Fourth exam was one they hadn't warned about (but luckily I had revised). It is a mental arithmetic paper consisting of 20 questions in 20 mins made up of speed, distance and time calculations. I completed about 18 of these although some take a long time to work out.

ADVICE: I don't think anyone can complete these tests in the time they give you. As they are all worth 1 mark DO NOT spend ages on a question that will take a long time to complete as you maybe able to do 2 or 3 others in the same time.

I don't think I have made it through the tests. I am truly gutted as I prepared as much as possible. Good luck to everyone in the future taking them. If you got any questions just ask

Russ