PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Defense Budget - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2009, 12:44
Had Enough 77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil My 2 pence worth

Personnally I would go on a 60year tour of the globe but that is just me being selfish!

Seriously though, should we not look at areas where we can buy off the shelf and build under licence in the UK adding value where we can like the israeli's do?

I think (my 2 pence worth) scrap the Nimrod force and replace with a couple of P-8's and BAMS global Hawks. Use the MRA4 test aircraft to replace the one's at Waddo.

Buy a few more reapers with cost savings from the above if any?

Scrap the flt ops branch and some admin functions that could be and use aircrew to do the ops role like it used to be. Also outsource the procurement function to private consultancy with selcted MOD input instead of the huge amount of people working in DPA/DPO or whatever it is called now.

At the same time have a independant review of the rank structure and have the recommendations implemented outside the MOD (prob never going to happen, they like their gold braid too much!) This could then lead to sensible redundancies and thinning at the top,.

I would also suggest a review of the medical and dental arrangements to try and get a cheaper outsourced service in places such as London where it must cost a fortune.

A complete review of the bases and also support areas with the idea of more closures than are currently on the cards. ( I don't like the idea of putting all the eggs in one basket but the cash situation dictates this)

We might also want to scap the puma fleet and use some money from other savings to acquire and train a new force on blackhawks built under licence in the UK. This would maybe lead to long term cost savings than running with an old aircraft.

I think a review of all weapon procuremnts over the next five years would be a good idea as well as in the short term I don't think meteor and similar items are a priority?

Anyway, that is my ideas please feel free to rip apart! (Putting helmet on for incoming)

P.S I do think that is it very sad that we have come to this point