PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers in the cockpit and the safety of aviation
Old 21st Jul 2009, 06:54
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alf -
because they feel ill-prepared to handle the big jets – even when hand flying.
I know from experience in my last airline that there is a great reluctance to depart from the comfort of an autopilot coupled ILS and fly a visual from downwind on a 'nice day'. Very early on in my time there I briefed a visual into XXX and was later advised by P2 that he was 'surprised' as 'very few Captains do that'. Countless times I have had to push hard to get Bloggs to fly even an A/P 'coupled' visual and have in desperation a few times had to take control to save both time and passenger comfort. In questioning afterwards it appeared that the lack of 'example' was persuading Bloggs that it was 'difficult' and therefore better not to risk 'messing up'. As airports go further along the lines of 'no visuals' and automation marches ever onwards in the cockpit, I fear we will eventually lose the ability to position an aeroplane visually from a random position. Likewise the art of 'orientation' - where am I and where am I going - is subsumed by the seductive 'magenta line' - "You are here, don't fret" psychology.

Regarding 'Cessnas' 'fitted with FMS', we are not far away.

As for
However on reflection, what if the assumption that the essential elements of airmanship can be taught without flying is wrong?
Do we need to fly to ‘experience’ airmanship?
- you and I are old enough to recall this enless debate. I have always believed that it was an inbuilt faculty, although it could be honed through teaching and 'absorption'. Almost an inbuilt 'self-preservation' desire?

It is back to the big question - the way we appear to be heading at the moment, do we need these 'skills'? This leads inevitably to the fully automated aeroplane with system failure well into unlikely probabilities.