PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Para Dropping in NZ
View Single Post
Old 21st Jul 2009, 02:21
aseanaero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I did my training I had to read up on the regs the night before then was given a quiz by the chief pilot and then he was jump master on 2 or 3 loads showing me what the run in should look like and where the spot was on those runs , after that he said good to go.

One tip I can pass on is listen to the spotter on Jump run , if he wants to give you lots of heading corrections just follow them. After a while when you get good at it you'll find you can get the right line without any corrections (or a cheeky 5 left or right with a grin from the spotter just before they leave as they don't want pilots getting big heads) and get to jump height just in time to let them out at the right spot and the right height.

A slight difference between piston and turbine , you want to get to height with a piston on the run in so you give the engine a chance to cool down a bit before descent where as with a turbine you can still be climbing on jump run and stabilise altitude and give them a good exit speed 15 or 20 seconds before exit.

The most difficult spots I ever did was literally reversing the Pilatus Porter at altitude due to 60 to 70 knot headwinds at 12,000 ft, flew upwind of the spot and then slowly drifted backwards and dropped them. This only happened on only a few days in 6 years of jump flying as when the upper winds are blowing like that usually the ground winds are also blowing 20-25 kts plus and only the very experienced guys were addicted enough to handle conditions like that.

Keep a good lookout for other aircraft on climb , especially in what is going to be your 6 oclock position on jump run. The spotters can get so fixated on the drop zone they sometimes forget to have a real good look for other aircraft.

Learn to say NO , some skydivers will jump in any weather and they will always push a pilot , when the conditions are really too bad or dangerous or beyond your skill level it's your call. The more they respect your flying skills the more they will push.

You can get your 'wuss revenge' when it's blowing 30 to 35 knots outside , the skydivers are all on their creeper boards practicing or drinking coffee and you say ok lets go for a load , you won't get any takers .

Last edited by aseanaero; 21st Jul 2009 at 05:40.