PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice for new instructor
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2009, 21:44
TurboJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry foxmouth, but on this you are dead wrong. Memory does not cut it on any airplane. Remember, some of these students have dreams of airline flying and there all things are done with checklist. All manufacturers make their checklists in order, and not many items to be covered depending on sophistication. Bottom line is to start with good habit patterns early in training.
Single pilot - Checks on the ground done from a checklist - checks in the air done from memory - You can't be doing checks from a piece of paper when you should be looking outside the aircraft.

Airliner flying - There are two of you - Pilot flying and Pilot not flying. PNF reads the checklist and the PF responds or the PNF just reads and does which on some checklists is merely a confirmation that everything has been done.

Checklists are not 'to do lists' they are checklists - i.e. checking everything has been done.

Certainly in areas of high density traffic at busy GA fields, the last place your head should be is trying to pick the checklist up of the floor. So IMHO and the way I was taught and the way I teach is on the ground by checklist in the air from memory.